As part of its contribution to discuss the future of Universities and the role of knowledge in making “our common future”, INTREPID has organised four sessions and workshops at the:
International Transdisciplinarity Conference 2017
Transdisciplinary Research and Education — Intercultural Endeavours
September 11-15, 2017, Leuphana University Lüneburg, Germany
Our aim is to contribute to the exploration of five questions:
- What purposes and goals will define Universities in the future? What future for the UN agenda on Education for Sustainable Development?
- What will be the driving ethos of the future university: the character and values of its educational project?
- What are the most likely drivers of change and related uncertainties? How will inter and transdisciplinarity shape universities?
- How will Universities relate to, and engage with, the world around them (locally, regionally and globally)?
- What obstacles and challenges are to be expected?
Please read our Background Report and the Highlights from our discussions at the TD Net conference here:
- The 4th INTREPID report on our initial workshop in London (University of Westminister) http://intrepid-cost.ics.ulisboa.pt/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/4th-INTREPID-Report-4th-Action-Workshop-London-1.pdf
- Thinking about the Future of Universities Highlights from our discussions at the TD Net conference http://intrepid-cost.ics.ulisboa.pt/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/INTREPID-Future-of-U-Reflection-Bina.pdf
Summary of our four events:
1) Thinking about the Future of Universities (part I and II), Olivia Bina, Marta Varanda, Andy Inch (Lisbon, PT) – COST INTREPID, open to all conference participants. 5 Invited Speakers will present alternative perspectives and challenges around the topic of the Future of Universities:
Olivia Bina (Intrepid COST Action Chair) See presentation
Heather CAMPBELL (University of Sheffield) Knowledge to change the world: Reimagining the university of the future
Igor CAMPILLO (Euskampus en Universidad del País Vasco) Thinking about the Future of Universities: Towards ‘the Challenge-oriented University’
Garry JACOBS (World Academy of Art & Science) New Paradigm in Education
Roberto POLI (University of Trento) What are universities for?
Petra SCHWEIZER-RIES (University of Bochum) Alternative perspectives and challenges around the topic of the Future of Universities
- Download presentation – Part 1/ Part2
- Watch video lecture
2) Exploring interdisciplinary careers: an interactive discussion workshop (part. I and II), Catherine Lyall and Laura Meagher (Edinburgh, UK) – COST Intrepid, open to all conference participants
3) Beyond rhetoric: constructive dialogue on interdisciplinary futures, Session 27
Roderick Lawrence (Geneva, CH)
4) INTREPID Workshop to discuss our strategy and priorities for the future of University, based on the input from our 5 speakers on day 1.